or Content-based Web Site?
Are you in a dilemma whether to create a mini site or a
content-based web site for your new product or service?
purpose of creating a web site should be to attract
convert them to paying customers. Is a mini site with a
pages enough to do this or should you spend more time and
a content-based web site which contains many content
Let's look at some of the Pros and Cons:
1. Easy to set up - you don't have to be a programmer
to create a mini site. Web site templates or software
of the work to be done already.
2. Little time - you could create a mini site within one
you have your entire content ready to go.
3. Laser focused on selling one product or service - a
can simply be one long sales page with an order button at
4. No distractions - customers are distracted by other
the web site. With no banners or links to other sites, the
can be directed to purchase immediately.
5. Inexpensive to create - if you use a free hosting
(not recommended), you would just pay for registering a
name. Paid hosting services for a mini site can be
1. Difficult for search engines to spider - a web site
containing many relevant pages of content will tend to
higher in the search engines than a one page mini site.
2. Lacks pages of content - mini sites often lack in-depth
information about their product or service.
3. Difficult to increase link popularity - getting links
other web sites increases your link popularity. Webmasters
other sites want to link to a web site which contains
information that expands their visitors experience.
4. Less traffic - less pages means fewer chances for
find your site in the search engines, thereby limiting the
amount of traffic your web site receives.
Content-based web sites
1. Search engine friendly - creating a content-based page
every targeted keyword will enable visitors to enter from
numerous points within your site.
2. Easy to acquire links from other sites - webmasters
link to web sites that will expand their visitors
providing more information (ie articles) or simplify their
3. Become an authority on your product or service - adding
pages of content related to your product, helps people to
an informative decision before purchasing.
4. Lots of traffic - creating lots of keyword focused
acquiring incoming and outgoing links to and from other
generates lots of free traffic.
1. Too many options - customers can become indecisive if
are too many options to choose from.
2. Too many links to other web sites - this may take
away from your site and not return. Ideally you want to
them at your site.
3. Can be expensive to build - content-based sites can
thousands of dollars to develop if you take into account
of graphics and/or hiring someone to build it for you.
4. Takes a lot of time to develop the web site - building
content-based pages takes time. It may take several years
create hundreds of content-based pages.
5. Attracts "tire kickers" - visitors want to look around
glean free information but may never buy.
Before you decide on what type of web site to develop,
think of the purpose of your site. If you just need a
and want to drive targeted traffic to your site using paid
(ie paid per click search engines, ezine ads) then a mini
If you plan on becoming an authority on your product or
and want to attract lots of free search engine traffic,
content-based web site will serve you better.
Alternatively, you may create a combination of the two ie
with a mini site, leaving room to expand it to a larger
web site in the future.
101 Highly Effective
Strategies to Promote Your Web Site