Add-on domain benefits.
Use Add-On Domains To Optimize Your
© Herman Drost
Web Hosting Space
Is it possible to host two or more sites with two or more
domains on the same hosting account? You may want to
register and market another domain name but don't want to
pay for another hosting account. The best solution is to
create an add-on domain.
What is an add-on domain?
An add-on domain is a new domain that is added on top of
your main domain. It creates a sub directory within your
main web hosting directory but can show a different web
site. The add-on domain collects the information from the
sub domain directory using the same space and bandwidth as
your main account, however it won't have its own cpanel
(web hosting manager).
1. Create multiple domains/websites on the same web
2. Save money and web space by using one hosting account
instead of several hosting accounts.
3. The add-on domain shares all the same resources (disk
bandwidth...) with your main site.
4. The add-on domain has its own FTP manager, site stats,
cgi-bin which is created automatically.
5. Upload all pages, images, scripts, forums etc to your
add-on domain directory.
6. Access your add-on domain using several web site
7. Promote several web sites within one hosting account
their own set of keywords.
How to create an add-on domain.
1. Register your new add-on domain with a domain name
2. Point the DNS (domain name sever) information
of your new add-on domain to the same DNS of your web
3. Allow 24-48 hours for the DNS to propagate over the Net
before uploading your files.
4. Log in to your cpanel (web hosting manager) and scroll
to add-on domains.
5. Fill in these three fields:
New Domain Name: SiteB.com (Do not put any http:// or www)
Name: SiteB (Enter 'SiteB ' by
itself. Do not put any '.com' or 'www')
(Enter any password you wish.)
6. Click the 'Add Domain' button. It takes a couple of
minutes for the system to set-up an add-on domain name.
7. Once it completes, your add-on domain name will be
You can then log into your account and you should see a
folder called /SiteB inside of your public_html folder.
Simply upload index pages, images and any other
Here is an example of how to create an add-on domain:
Let's say you primary domain is http://www.SiteA.com
You add an add-on domain named: http://www.SiteB.com
through the cpanel.
Now you can access it via:
You can now set-up email for the add-on domain as if it
a separate site i.e. bubba@SiteB.com with mail servers as
Tips: When searching for a web hosting service, be sure to
check if they allow add-on domains. This will give you far
more flexibility to utilize your web hosting space should
you need to create add-on domains in the future.
Be sure to check how much web space you have left for your
main hosting account before you create an add-on domain.
Add-on domains utilize the same web space as your main
Affordable Web Hosting Plans from $30/year
101 Highly Effective
Strategies to Promote Your Web Site