How to Build a Database Driven Web Site
© Herman Drost
If you ever want to create a link directory, state directory,
directory or a dating site you need to know about
creating database driven web sites. This may seem
daunting task at first, if you have never done it, however
I was in the same boat as you. It is not as difficult as
Benefits of building database driven web sites
- Store vast amounts of information about your
- Efficient data sorting and retrieval
- Complex queries and statistical analysis performed
- Separate site design from site's content.
- Create new pages on the fly without manually
editing new web pages.
- Makes it easy for client to post content, update
without the need to know html or rely on a web
- Advanced search capabilities.
- Attract repeat visitors with fresh and constantly
- Update site information online without the need to
- Site maintenance greatly reduced.
- Enhance web interactivity
MySQL - to retrieve information from a database, you first
need to have a database. That's where MySQL comes in.
MySQL is a relational database management system,
or RDBMS. It's a software package that is very good at
organizing and managing large amounts of information.
MySQL also makes that information readily accessible
by using a server-side scripting language like PHP.
PHP - this is a server-side scripting language. With PHP
installed, your Web server will be able to read a new file
(called a "PHP script") that can retrieve information
from a database and insert it into a web page before
it to the browser that requested it. PHP is completely
download and use.
Check with your current Web host. Make sure they have
already installed MySQL and PHP on your Web server.
Most web hosting companies already have it installed.
If not find a web host that provides this service.
Steps to building a database driven web site:
You will be building a link directory site using a mySQL
database and the WSN Links Script (a PHP script). Here's
example of the "Colorado
Business Directory " Site that was
built, based on following the 7 steps below:
1. Check that your web host has PHP 4.10+ (or PHP 5) and
MySQL 3+ installed on the server.
2. To create the mySQL database on the web server:
-login to the cpanel of your server ie domainname/cpanel
with your user name and password.
-click on 'MySQL Databases' icon.
-enter database name
-click 'add db'
-click on 'go back'
-under 'Users' enter user name and password for database
-click 'add user'
-click on 'go back'
-click on 'add user to database'
You should now get the reply that your database
installation was successful.
3. Download the PHP script files to your desktop at:
4. Extract files from the ZIP folder and save them
to a folder on your computer.
5. Upload all the extracted files to your hosting space
6. Set the correct permissions for your files.
7. To complete the installation and to customize the
read the WSN Links manual
You can continue to customize or edit your site online by
accessing the admin panel within your web site.
Adding, sorting, retrieving, searching data, creating new
pages, links etc can now easily be accomplished.
Congratulations!..you successfully have built yourself a
database driven web site.
101 Highly Effective
Strategies to Promote Your Web Site